New Delhi: Union Interior Minister Amit Shah on Thursday conducted an aerial survey of rain-ravaged areas in Uttarakhand to examine damage estimated by the state at Rs 7,000 crore.
Speaking to reporters at Jollygrant airport after the investigation into the affected areas in the Kumaon region, Amit Shah informed that preventive action by central and state government agencies had helped contain the damage, according to the PTI news agency.
Relief and rescue operations are underway in the worst affected region of Kumaon to restore connectivity and evacuate people from vulnerable areas.
Earlier, Chief Minister Pushkar Singh Dhami informed that continuous rains for three days caused damage worth Rs 7,000 crore. The CM said restoring the damaged road and bridge network was a priority in addition to evacuating people to safety, he said.
“A heavy rain warning was issued well in advance, which made it possible to take the necessary precautionary measures, such as stopping the Chardham Yatra. The damage could have been more severe if it had not been done. Rapid mobilization of search and rescue teams and the arrival of IAF helicopters to assist with the rescue operations minimized potential damage, ”Shah said.
“Sixty-four unfortunate rain-related deaths have been reported in the state, while more than eleven people are still missing,” the minister said. Authorities say the state’s death toll has risen to 54, with 19 people injured and five still missing. The Nainital district reported a maximum number of 28 deaths.
Although no relief plan for Uttarakhand has been announced so far due to the devastation caused by the relentless rains, Shah noted that a detailed estimate of the losses must first be prepared.
He said that an amount of Rs 250 crore was sent to the state almost a month ago, given its vulnerability to natural disasters and that it can support relief and rescue measures. currently in progress.
The center is owned by the state government and will fully support Uttarakhand in its rehabilitation efforts, Shah said.
He said all blocked roads in the affected areas have been cleared except for three which have been breached nearly 25 meters wide and added that 3,500 people have been rescued so far.